Tuesday, April 1, 2008

happy 100 grandmother!

my grandmother, katherine taylor lewis, turned 100 on march 19th- i couldn't be there to help celebrate, but sandy, my sister, was and i stole this picture from her blog. i second everything that sandy says about my wonderful grandmother, even down to the particular flavor of those delicious scrambled eggs. i have a file of letters that my grandmother has written to me through the years. these letters are filled with love, encouragement, approval, all the things that helped me, and still help me to be a better person. here is a quote from a letter she sent me in college. (i share this not to show what a great person i am, but to share how much her love and support have meant to me):

"...you are a remarkable granddaughter- i know wonderful, happy things are going to happen to you. college years are wonderful and also difficult. you want to do so much and yet are limited in time and energy. hope you have exciting, happy moments along with all the hours of study. if you have any doubts- try to think of what your mom would do and you will have it made. i know she admires you as much as i admire her... love you- grandmother"

she really thought highly of me to assume that i had trouble finding time to have fun because of my dedication to study. i miss the person she was already, but still look forward to the time i get to spend with her when i visit my parents. if i am in any way remarkable it is because of the example, support, and love that i have gotten from her, my mother, and my father.

2 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

I'm so glad to have actually met your grandmother before. She's awesome. That's a really nice letter. I think the part about "hours of study" was her way of being funny, but the rest of it was really touching.

Amanda said...

Beautiful post. Grandmothers are the best.
Mine used to always tell me I was a "beautiful, fine young woman." Little did she know I could burp the alphabet in one breath.